Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog Post 14: The Drowsy Chaperone

Yes, I know I'm out of order but here's my twelfth post but prompt 14.


One motif (progression), other than the monkey that the “man” points out,  I noticed was the fact that these characters used a false identity to gain something else for their benefit.  First off, Kitty and Janet were actors. They get paid to be someone else. Next, Drowsy easily tricked Aldolpho into having sex with her when she knew that he was specifically looking for Janet.  However, I guess this works out in the end because she prevented a potentially very dangerous situation.  And finally, Janet pretended to be Mimi whenever she wanted information out of her fiancé.  All of these situations were fairly harmless and playful but added the element of deceit and trickery.  I am curious to see more about how Aldolpho reacts whenever he finds out that “Janet” isn’t Janet.  It also baffled me a bit that Robert didn’t recognize his own soon to be wife. Yeah she was using an accent, but it shouldn’t have been that hard, but that is beside the point.
Secondly, duration played a huge part when it comes to Trix the aviatrix.  We see her briefly at the beginning of the show, however, she doesn’t come up again until the very end. Her role isn’t the most important during the bulk and action of the plot, but she ties everything together in the end.  In fact, I completely forgot about her until she popped back up, and I think that was the point. She’s clearly important because she helps marry four different couples and sends them on their honeymoon after a crazy tumultuous day, so in the end, she’s actually really, really important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment