Sunday, April 28, 2013

Post 11: Fires in the Mirror


Yes, seemingly, the first 16 or so monologues don’t have anything to do with the riot itself. We sit here wondering how on earth a radio being turned on during a Sunday evening matters to a riot that tore a part a neighborhood even more than it already was.  However, these monologues give us so much insight. The whole purpose of this play, in my opinion, is understanding. There are so many sides and perspectives to the riot that it’s hard to know who is in the right and who is in the wrong, if anyone even is right or wrong. The black people learn why the Jewish community does what they do. They’re actions have meaning. The Jewish community can appreciate and learn from how the black community operates and what they believe.  In order to resolve any issues that Crown Heights has, it is imperative that the two groups have a basic understanding of how the other culture lives.
            It also allows the audience to see where these cultures are coming from.  I don’t know exactly how to relate to an orthodox Jewish person and I don’t understand rap music that well. But reading this, I understand why THEY are passionate about these things. I gain an understanding and have every bit of information I need to form an opinion. I hear all sides, and although there might be some bias, there will always be some bias. One of the monologues talks about how the Eskimos have 100 words for snow and how we have 100 ways of bias, and that is really hard to get away from, no matter what.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the mission of the play being understanding. You are right that this gives everyone insight on others that they don't understand. I wrote about the same idea. I think the play is also about realizing how people seem so different aesthetically, but , in reality, are similar. We get stuck on how different people look from us, or what we're used to, that we judge prematurely. I think think this is about learning to use less judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSS. I hate when people fail to see how the beginning is sooooo necessary. When I first read this play in a different class, almost everyone was like meeehhhh we don't need this. WRONG, it is so important to understand their identities. LIke it was said in class, this isn't a new broadcast, it is a story.

    ReplyDelete