Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Post 12 - On the Verge


Yes, really this is my post 13, I think. Keep in mind that everything is sort of out of order at this point.


A poster for this play avoiding the main characteristics of the girls and what they have.... That’s difficult.  My first thought was sort of the stereotypical evolution poster. You know, the one that has the monkeys turning into the caveman who then turns into present day man? I would do a spin-off of that. I like the idea of showing the evolution of time, but I don’t exactly know how to do that. I think the tag line I would chose would be my favorite quote from the play. This quote is , “Prisoner in a Kaleidoscope” (29).   I think this is a good tagline for the show because they really are trapped, if you think about it. Yes they are moving throughout time and certainly are not stuck. However, they are trapped because they cannot go back to their home. They are trapped in Terra Incognita and will never be able to go back to Terra Haute. 
The Kaleidoscope is this strange new place. Going from the middle of the nineteenth century to a bright new place in the 1950’s is insane and such a culture shock. The 1950s are bright and fun and full of life and lights. It’s the time of poodle skirts and sock hops. So I think that might be more what my poster would look like. Maybe the evolution of pants that the girls wear? They start off in their traditional skirt from the 1800s and move to trousers and the poodle skirt. It shows the shift in time. Or maybe one girl would wear one of the three items of clothing. 

3 comments:

  1. I love your concept for the poster. I didn't even consider evolution. I think that that could end up being a really cool idea if you actually developed/produced it. I also really liked that line. I was deciding between that one, "Let us trek", and "Nostalgia for the future", but I ended up choosing the last one. I also liked your consideration of clothing evolution to express the passing of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of the evolution of the clothing to represent the time passing and what the ladies are going through. It really would work since the ladies are traveling through time so thing things they encounter would advance and evolve around them without them really evolving substantially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am starting to get bummed out while doing these responses. Evolution is amazing, and all I thought up was a word cloud. YOu win Sara...you win. I also like the image that is brought up with kaleidoscope, it serves as nice kind of frame for the play. Trippy yet nostalgic. good choice

    ReplyDelete